CAREER PREPAREDNESS THROUGH BLENDED LEARNING
The Exploring Your Potential (EYP) program can be readily adopted with blended learning. Blended learning is an academic methodology that combines online learning with face-to-face learning. A blended learning approach can be highly beneficial because it includes multiple forms of communications and learning activities.
The blended learning approach for EYP includes the online courses provided to the students, generally one per academic year, with at least one in-class seminar each year. The online courses and seminars can be offered in either academic semester or quarter.
EYP is offered only in English. The seminars, however, can be conducted in the native language of the country or academic institution. If English is a second language for the students, EYP can also serve as an applied course in practical English.
Each EYP online course includes approximately 10-15 hours for the students to complete the various activities and conduct additional career-based research. The courses are divided into six learning modules. Each learning module is organized into 4-6 sections with a total of 8-10 activities that result in 2-5 written assignments posted to the course’s My Portfolio.
Each course includes one or more signature assignments that can be submitted for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading. Each course also has a pre-course survey and a post- course survey used for summative course-level evaluation.
The Course Seminar
Towards the end of the academic term when the students have completed or are just about to complete the assigned course, the institution conducts a seminar with the students. The length of the seminar varies. An instructor-led seminar could be 1-2 hours, whereas an institution-led seminar could be a day-long event that includes guest speakers from the local community and/or student presentations on their career preparedness actions.
Suggested activities for the seminar are:
- Student presentations on the results from their EYP course experiences.
- Guest speaker(s) from the employment community who address employee skills and career preparedness.
- Forming small (2-4 person) student groups for a team-based project or activity presentation.
- A webinar with a career development expert.
- A training program on a specific career-based soft-skill such as leadership, communications, teamwork, workplace diversity, global awareness, etc.
- A case study on career readiness based on the use of the B-School Connection service that is included for the students with each EYP course.
- An entrepreneurial, team-based competition to develop and launch a new product or service idea.
- Conduct simulated employment interviews and resume’ writing workshops.
- Invite employers and host a job-fair.
- Conduct training sessions on how to build your own business – entrepreneurialism.
- Conduct team-based competitions on developing a business idea.
- A panel discussion on how to get an entrepreneurial idea funded and launched.
Multiple Course Seminars
Given the diversity of options available for the EYP seminars, the academic institution may want to conduct 2-4 seminars per course during the academic term rather than just one seminar towards the end of the course or term. The option also exists to conduct weekly or bi- monthly seminars with the students completing the online EYP courses. Different groups of students could also be combined to leverage the diversity of perspectives and academic disciplines.
ONLINE CAREER PREPAREDNESS PROGRAM (OCPP) OPTION
In addition to EYP, Peregrine Academic Services offers online leadership development courses that are designed to teach specific soft-skills required by most employers. Peregrine’s Online Career Preparedness Program (OCPP) represents a comprehensive academic solution that compliments the institution’s knowledge-based (technical) education to develop a more career- prepared graduate. The OCPP leverages the lessons from EYP with the skill development needed to realize the student’s potential.
The OCPP includes 12 courses delivered to the students in 3-course blocks. Each 3-course block will take the average student 20-25 hours to complete. After completion, the online course materials are available to the student for up to 2 years.
The 3-course blocks of instruction are as follows:
- Career Foundations - Block 1: Discovering Your Options + Business Writing Fundamentals + Leadership Communications
- Career Essentials - Block 2: Sculpting Your Value Proposition + Leadership Essentials + Leading Teams
- Career Readiness - Block 3: Selling Yourself + Managing Conflict + Leading Change
- Career Success - Block 4: Activating Your Plan + Leading the Leaders + Workplace Readiness
A blended learning approach is recommended for the delivery of the OCPP to the students. Although the courses are delivered online to the students, the program should include seminars and facilitated activities for the students, like those described earlier in this document.
Personnel from Peregrine Academic Services are available to assist the academic institution with establishing and implementing the blended learning program for both EYP and the OCPP. Additionally, Peregrine provides program guides, course syllabi, and instructor guides with the programs. The level of assistance required will vary by institution.
The program guides include:
- Program Description
- Program Outcomes
- Program Assessment Plan The course syllabi include:
- Course Description
- Course Outcomes
- Module Outcomes
- Instructional Summary
- Course Assessment Plan
The course instructor guides include:
- Course Description
- Course Outcomes
- Module-by-Module Instructor Requirements
- Grading Activities and Student Submissions
- Student Engagement
- Student Assessment
On-boarding your Institution
The Client Onboarding Packet is a document to record the information required to establish the academic institution as a client for Exploring Your Potential. The onboarding packet is not a legal contract (Peregrine does not require the institution to sign a contract); rather, it is a tool used to record information needed to supply services to the client institution. The onboarding packet identifies:
- Contact Personnel from the Client Institution.
- Service Requirements specific to the Client Institution and any required Customization
- Payment Information once the services are rendered to the Client Institution.
Assistance with Seminar Preparation
EYP can assist in a variety of ways with preparing for the student seminars. Such assistance, often called train-the-trainer, includes:
- Providing formative and summative reports used to evaluate student learning while completing the online courses. These reports can indicate both weak and strong areas of learning, which can subsequently be used to guide the seminar activities by building upon the strength-trends and improving upon the weak-trends.
- Sharing best practices in career preparedness that EYP personnel learn from other academic institutions. Peregrine’s programs and services are delivered throughout the world and personnel regularly attend conferences and forums where best practices are identified. Whenever possible, we are happy to share these best practices with our client institutions.
- Recording short videos regarding career skills that can be shared with the students during the seminars.
- Assisting with the development of an employer engagement plan. The best guest speakers for the seminars are the potential employers within the community. These speakers can address the topic of career readiness from their perspective and share their success stories, much like the videos within EYP do. The students will be most engaged when they can learn from people within their community.
- Providing any available supplemental materials related to career development and soft- skills. These materials can be used to augment the seminar with additional learning activities.
Assistance with the Seminars
It is best if the client institution conducts the seminars with the students; however, Peregrine Academic Services can assist with these seminars. The seminars can be an invaluable tool used to bring the students together with the employer community and leverage talents across multiple spectrums.
The types of assistance that EYP can provide during the seminar include:
- Facilitate personality-type testing such as Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Peregrine is an authorized trainer for the MBTI®.
- Be a guest speaker for the seminar via GoToMeeting or another web-based tool. Peregrine team members can deliver short talks in Spanish, French, German, Russian, Mongolian, Portuguese, and Turkish on topics related to employment soft-skills, career readiness, and future employment development.
- Help design the seminars based on our lessons learned and experiences.
- Help identify potential guest speakers for the seminars.
Exploring Your Potential
Discovering Your Options is a 6-module course to help students gain a clear sense of who they are, what they want to achieve, what skills and experience they should leverage, and what will make them truly happy. Course 1 Learning Outcomes are:
- Explore a variety of career opportunities to gain skill diversity and capitalize on life experiences.
- Develop a plan of action for achieving career goals that align to their dreams.
- Identify and create strategies to overcome challenges in achieving desired goals.
- Demonstrate clear and intentional language when speaking about personal and professional goal pathways.
Sculpting Your Value Proposition is a 6-module course that supports students in packaging what they have to offer strategically to maximize opportunities. Students will identify their assets and liabilities to develop new pathways for improvement, map out organizations and key players within their chosen industry, and create a powerful network of connections to guide them while navigating career steps. Learning outcomes for this course are:
- Objectively looking at self in relation to adding value to the marketplace
- Develop a clear talent assessment
- Design strategies for leveraging assets and improving liabilities through continued education
- Aggregate expert resources and knowledge to effectively apply insights to career goals
- Build a powerful network of connections to establish credibility, create opportunities, and expand professional pathways.
Marketing Yourself is a 6-module course that refines student’s ability to present and leverage their personal brand while experiencing new opportunities for growth. Building on activities from Course 1 and 2, Course 3 immerses students in a variety of real-life experiences including volunteering, branding, and social networking to demonstrate who they are, where they want to go and how they will get there. Learning outcomes for this course are:
- Describe personal and professional attributes clearly in a timely and consistent manner using sales and marketing strategies.
- Develop a personal brand that succinctly packages information gained from previous courses.
- Identify and interpret potential opportunities in a variety of social networks and adjust pitch to meet the changes.
- Evaluate and adapt communication behaviors to successfully and responsibly manage support networks.
Activating Your Plan is a 6-module course which capstones the series, Exploring Your Potential. Through practical planning and careful review, students refine skills acquired in Courses 1, 2 and 3 to produce a dynamic toolkit for reaching their ideal life. Students demonstrate whom they have created themselves to be and the strategies they have developed to navigate and fulfill their potential. Expected learning outcomes for this course are:
- Understand the impact of and prepare to make choices regarding major life decisions that affect the projected career path.
- Develop a life plan of action to include intermediate steps, benchmarks, and outcomes and strategies that are in alignment with each action.
- Create experiences for volunteering and mentoring that give back to communities while growing opportunities and increasing knowledge in a field.
- Design pathways to access power and influential key players in an industry to become part of a vast network of opportunity.